Purpose of Role
The Director of Formation at Sanctuary Covenant Church will provide leadership to our discipleship efforts in the areas of children, youth, and adult programs.
The ideal candidate will bring together a deep love for Jesus-centered community, strategic and creative thinking, care-filled management of people, and an inviting personality.
- Lead Formation ministries in pursuit of the mission, vision, and purpose of SCC, focusing on The Sanctuary 5 (Connect, Grow, Serve, Give, Invite)
- Develop and support ongoing adult discipleship opportunities including Life Groups, Membership Matters & Baptisms
- Empower, support, and provide direct supervision for paid staff who:
- Shape our ministry plans for children, youth, and adults in various stages
- Serve as advocates and champions of the discipleship ministry at SCC
- Identify, invite, train & empower volunteer leaders and teams to carry out ministry
- Develop and manage Formation ministry budgets in collaboration with paid staff
- Work collaboratively with Connections & Care staff to ensure adults are connected to others for growth, accountability, and care
- Evaluate and develop curriculum for children, youth, and adults that is biblical, developmentally appropriate, and culturally relevant for Sanctuary and our immediate context
- Work with Connections & Care staff to respond to member care needs as needed
- Work with Communications Team to develop and implement marketing and promotion of Formation initiatives and resources
- Support Worship Ministry to ensure Sundays are both inspirational and formational
- Create and nurture ministry partnerships with the Evangelical Covenant Church, the Northwest Conference, and others that would foster spiritual growth for our members and regular attenders
This role is central to our weekly worship service. The leader must maintain a weekly presence with volunteer teams by leading huddles, encouraging teams, troubleshooting, and standing in the gap as necessary.
Basic Qualifications and Experience
- Demonstrated faith and lifestyle commitment to the Lord Jesus Christ
- A love for people and service
- Commitment to the mission, purpose, vision & core values of the Sanctuary Covenant Church and the Evangelical Covenant Church
- High school diploma or GED
- 2+ years of demonstrated relevant experience, paid or volunteer, in a mid-sized church
- Member of or open to seeking membership at Sanctuary Covenant Church
- Ability to develop teams, delegate and empower others on the mission
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, especially across ethnic, gender and generational lines
- Strong gift for leadership and ability to develop/coach others
- Excellent organizational and multitasking skills
- Demonstrated ability to initiate and complete tasks and projects within a given timeline
- Strong aptitude for process improvement, problem solving and creativity
- Ability to be flexible and respond to changing priorities
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently independently as well as within a team structure
- Ability to handle sensitive issues and maintain confidentiality
- A learner, someone committed to continual growth and improvement
What you can expect working at Sanctuary
A Growth Culture
When you grow personally and spiritually, your ministry will grow too. We believe in supporting our team members with opportunities for personal, spiritual and professional development.
Competitive Salary and Benefits
We want you to have the means to do the work you love, now and into the future. Working at Sanctuary means access to a competitive salary, health and retirement benefits.
Technology that works
Our employees are outfitted with the proper tech to do the role they oversee.
Team Appreciation Events
We like to celebrate each other’s life milestones and show gratitude for a job well done.
Flexible Vacation and Leave Plans
Working hard for something you believe in is rewarding…but also taxing. We provide flexible time away for you to recharge, including time specifically for you to reconnect spiritually outside of the workplace.
Work Hard. Play Hard.
There’s a time for work. And there’s a time for play. We like to do both as a team. We learn, play and laugh together regularly.